Monday, December 17, 2007

"Onions and Squash Blossoms"


"Onions and Squash Blossoms", 10" x 8" oil on board, 2007
Private Collection

I am still working on finishing up some ongoing projects around our house, so I have not been able to paint as much as I would like lately.
This is a piece that I painted about two months ago. I am thinking of doing a larger version of it with just a slightly different composition. What attracted me to this scene were the colors and the fact that it is almost all in shadow. I really liked the green of all those onions that the woman is cleaning up. The orange color of the fresh squash blossoms is a good compliment to all that green. We were eating a lot of these delicious flowers in August and September and I guess I had them on my mind.

6 comments:

sixtyminuteartist said...

Frank, you definitely should do a larger version of that painting. It is a great composition and opportunity to explore the shade vs. light issue you mention. I really like that high chroma green accent you put on the woman walking in the "Woman and Doves" painting--which creates a nice vibration in the whole composition. Try something like that in the larger version of this one--maybe on the skirt or blouse of the sitting woman. Keep up the good work.

Jerry (sixtyminuteartist)

Frank Gardner said...

Thanks for your input Jerry. I'll have to wait till after the holidays before I get back to any larger works. But I'll get to it one of these days.

Unknown said...

I really love this one Frank. The composition is wonderful and startling. I love the more mid range view.

Barbara Pask said...

Very nice and very interesting, the composition and the colors. Barb

Frank Gardner said...

Thanks Eric!

Frank Gardner said...

Hi Barb, Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment.